21 March 2015: Reformation and Revival
National Centre for Early Music, York
Vaughan Williams’ deep love of Tudor music, whether elaborate polyphony or the restraint of Tallis’ psalm tunes, is reflected in his modally-inflected Mass.
Stanford’s much loved Motets are contrasted with settings of the same texts by Byrd and the contemporary American composer James Lavino.
- Ne Irascaris, Domine — William Byrd
- Sancte Deus — Thomas Tallis
- Tunes For Archbishop Parker’s Psalter — Thomas Tallis
- Mass In G Minor — Ralph Vaughan Williams
- Beati quorum via — James Lavino
- Beati quorum via — Charles Stanford
- Justorum Animae — Charles Villiers Stanford
- Justorum Animae — William Byrd
Current concerts » Previous concerts »